I received my moving estimate. I will not post the amount, but it was a lot more than I had expected. I have moved with this company twice before, and this was definitely the highest estimate I have received from them. It is also the least amount of stuff I am moving:
2400 sq ft house to 1000 sq ft, including the storage space; 1000 sq ft to 660 sq ft including storage sheds; 660 sq ft to 400 sq ft. Needless to say, downsizing my possessions is a necessity.
I came up with a few tips during the moves that might help others:
- Used different colors of duct tape to mark boxes according to where they were going - storage, apartment, personal car. When using movers, certain materials cannot be placed in the van.
- Have the van loaded according to where it is being unloaded if there is more than one location. Which space do you want unloaded to first? Have those items put into the truck last. (If this makes sense to you, it confused the movers until they saw it in action.)
- Have a floor plan in mind before arrival. If possible, use actual dimensions to create one so you can see how the pieces will fit.
- Keep in mind doorways, outlets, and windows. Cable and land-line placement, too, if these will be installed where you are moving.
- When selecting packing materials (if you are pre-packing), how will you dispose of them once you have unpacked? You may need to separate out cardboard, paper, and bubble wrap/packing peanuts.
- Decide whether or not to get the extra insurance on your goods. With a different mover, I had three items get broken - two were repairable by them, one needed to be replaced.
- If you are doing much of your own packing, decide whether you will purchase your own supplies or buy them from the moving company. It can be cheaper if buying them yourself.
- For example, the company was planning to charge me $139.75 for 43 medium size boxes. These are not all the boxes listed. Yesterday, I bought 75 medium boxes, 10 large boxes, three rolls of packing tape, and a roll of packing paper for $131.50.
So, this is move #5 in six years. I am using the first moving company again. The estimate is higher than my other two moves, even though I am moving so much less stuff; some of the added expense came in when I planned to have the company do the packing for me.
Estimate included $35/hour/person for a total of 30 hours over three days. In addition, there are the van usage amount and the packing materials cost. The additional insurance was not included in the estimate.
As I said in last week's post, I am doing the packing myself. This is to save the costs of one day of moving-company employees, plus the van and packing materials cost. I have, indeed, limited my boxes of books to six. Most of the boxes I am using having handles, which will make it easier for me to carry them.
My goal is a minimum of two boxes each day, and I have been able to stick to this. Until today. This is the first day I have been too sore for this. I am hoping I will be able to do this before bed, though.