It seems to me that people are always in a hurry these days. We set alarms to remind us when to get up, when to leave, when to _____________________. All this hurrying leads to stressed-out people.
Stress causes higher cortisone levels, which can lead to a number of health issues, including weight gain, depression, and memory problems. How can we lower stress?
Take time to
Take some time each day to de-stress. Read a book, take a bath, drink a cup of tea on your front porch, meditate, do whatever it is that helps bring your stress level down. Note that all of these things can be done with noise or cell phones. Even if it is just for 10 minutes each day, give your body a break from stress.
I heard someone on a talk show (Dr. Oz?) demonstrate a breathing technique that lowers stress and increases energy.
- Sit up straight
- Relax your head, neck, and shoulders
- Breathe every bit of air out that you can get out
Repeat the next part three times.
- Breathe in as far as you can, raising your shoulders up to your ears as you do so
- Hold the breathe for a count of three
- Blow the air out slowly, lowering your shoulders to as low as you can get them as you do so
I was surprised at how effective it was. Try it. I feel a lot better every time I do this.
Please let me know if you try it, and how you felt after doing so. And, ironically, more gets done because there is more energy to do it with.